- Every 60 hours over the last 5 years, on average, a drunk driver killed someone in Maryland.
- In Maryland, in 2011, there were 173 alcohol-impaired driving fatalities.
- In 2011, over 24,000 Maryland drivers were arrested for DUI
- In 2011, 45% of alcohol-related fatal crashes occurred between the hours of 10pm and 2am
- Over the last 5 years, nearly 60 percent of all impaired crashes occurred on a Friday, Saturday or Sunday. Twice as many impaired driving crashes occurred on a Saturday or Sunday as did on Mondays. Crashes resulting in death or injury were highest on Saturdays and Sundays.
- Nationally, in 2011, 9,878 alcohol-impaired (.08+ BAC) fatalities, accounting for 31% of total traffic fatalities in the US (32,367)
Sources: National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, Maryland State Highway Administration, Maryland Transportation Authority, Maryland State Police